Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Journal entry 246--Helping

How can bad situations in your life give you more compassion towards others? Write about a time when this happened.


I've written before about how I didn't have the most ideal childhood and at times I feel sad about it, but I have learned a lot from it. I've been in many situations where I needed to understand how another person was feeling in order to help them. One that comes to mind is a young boy who had just lost his father. He was suppose to participate in a play but felt too alone and upset to be around others who didn't understand what he was experiencing. I was able to share with him how I felt when my mother died when I was young and knew what he was going through. He eventually agreed to be in the play and did a great job. He just needed to be understood and unless you've been through a similar experience, it's difficult. I wish my mother had not died but I am grateful that I had the opportunity to help this young man.

No comments: