Sunday, August 24, 2008

Journal entry 26--Service

Describe a time when you were on the receiving end of service. How did you feel receiving this help?

I've had many times when I've received service from others, but there is one particular time when I needed it the most. After my mother died I was alone both physically and mentally. There were several people from my church who brought me meals, checked in on me and basically helped carry me through that difficult time. At first it was hard for me to accept all the attention and care, however one woman said something to me that changed the way I viewed service. She told me that "there will be times when you serve others and times when you need service; let others have the opportunity to serve by helping you." Now that I've seen service firsthand, I'm more willing to serve others when I need to plus I've learned how to serve better by watching how people have served me.

No comments: